By Adam Ruhl
Newscaster Karen White is nearly killed when she goes alone to interview a serial killer in a porno booth. She decides to recover from the trauma at a retreat staffed entirely by werewolves (not intentionally). Various maimings, devorings, and acid attacks ensue.
- Audio Commentary With Director Joe Dante And Actors Dee Wallace, Christopher Stone and Robert Picardo – Carried over from older release, Christopher Stone passed away in 1995.
- Audio Commentary With Author Gary Brandner – new commentary track.
- Howlings Eternal with Steven A. Lane – new material.
- Cut to shreds with Editor Mark Goldblatt – new material.
- Interview with Co-Writer Terrence Winkless – new material.
- Interview with Stop Motion Animator David Allen
- Unleashing the Beast: Making of The Howling
- Deleted Scenes with film commentary and film audio
- Making A Monster Movie: Inside The Howling
- Horror’s Hallowed Grounds – A Look at the Film’s Locations – new material.
- Photo Gallery
- Theatrical Trailer
- 1080p Hi-Def widescreen 1.85:1
- DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
- DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
- English-only Audio & Subtitles
- Original Release: 1981
- Runtime: 91 minutes
- Rated R
Presentation quality: A / Rich blacks and plenty of original grain.
Scare factor: B+ / More great atmosphere and tension than cheap thrills and jumps.
Gore Factor: B / Bloody and graphic for the era but somewhat reserved by modern standards.
Repeat view-ability: A / This is a classic Werewolf horror movie and its direction, effects, and cinematography make it a great view at least once a year.