“Warner Bros. Home Entertainment provided me with a free copy of the Blu-ray I reviewed in this Blog Post. The opinions I share are my own.”
It only took 75 years for “Wonder Woman” to hit the big screen and now the #1 box office smash hits the home video market and it was absolutely worth the wait.
After her lackluster cameo in the unwatchable “Batman V Superman” Gal Gadot finally gets to show her stuff as the title character in Warner Brothers just released Blu-Ray “Wonder Woman.’
Like “Captain America: The First Avenger,” “Wonder Woman” is an origin story set in the past during wartime. The film hits the ground running as we see a young Princess Diana sprinting through Themyscira as she dreams of becoming a great warrior like her Aunt, General Antiope (Robin Wright).
When Diana’s mother, Queen Hippolyta (Connie Nielsen), discovers that Antiope has been training Diana in secret she agrees to let it continue as long as Diana becomes the best warrior Themyscira has ever seen. Enter pilot Steve Trevor (Chris Pine) who crash lands on Paradise Island and with the help of Princess Diana returns to the mainland to continue his fight against the Germans.
Once Trevor and Diana get back to Germany that’s when we get to see Wonder Woman in her classic attire kicking butt like never before. The fight scenes in the film are breathtakingly heroic and will illicit emotions that you haven’t felt in a superhero movie before. Gadot’s strength never takes a back seat to her femininity. She is never a damsel in distress and is never dismissed as just a girl. Wonder Woman stands as an equal to every man in this film and the screenplay by Allan Heinberg treats her as such. There are no gross come ons or lewd comments because that is not how women should ever be treated. Wonder Woman commands respect and receives it in every frame.
Director Patty Jenkins has created a lean mean comic book film that includes a perfect origin story plus a well formed adventure. There is not one wasted second in “Wonder Woman.” Every single scene pushes the story forward without wasting the viewers time.
“Wonder Woman” is not perfect and the villain who comes to the forefront during the last 15 minutes isn’t great but this is hands down the best movie in the new DC Cinematic Universe. If Warner Brothers was smart they would forget the boring Superman, put Batman into retirement and focus on the hero we need now more than ever… Wonder Woman!
Blu-Ray Special features include:
– Epilogue: Etta’s Mission – Etta Candy gets the boys back together for a secret mission that could impact humanity’s future.
– Crafting the Wonder – Wonder Woman finally comes to life in her first, breathtaking solo film. Explore the journey to create an adventure worthy of DC’s greatest warrior.
Join director Patty Jenkins as she takes you on an exclusive journey through “Wonder Woman’s” most pivotal and exciting moments:
– A Director’s Vision: Themyscira: The Hidden Island
– A Director’s Vision: Beach Battle
– A Director’s Vision: A Photograph Through Time
– A Director’s Vision: Diana in the Modern World
– A Director’s Vision: Wonder Woman at War
– Warriors of Wonder Woman – Witness the creation of the Amazon army as the women of “Wonder Woman” transform emotionally and physically into the world’s most powerful and heroic warriors.
– The Trinity – Filmmakers and comic book creators explore the legend of Wonder Woman and how she stands shoulder to shoulder with Superman and Batman to create the pillars of the DC Universe
– The Wonder Behind the Camera– Meet the women behind the wonder as they welcome a group of aspiring filmmakers on set for an exclusive, once-in-a-lifetime experience.
– Finding the Wonder Woman Within – Feel the power of Wonder Woman as award-winning poets and inspiring public figures reveal the impact and importance of DC’s greatest heroine.
– Extended Scenes
– Blooper Reel
More Popular PCB Coverage, have a look:
Loverboy Rocks Southern California, according to Pat Francis
Halloween Horror Picks are great year-round – check them out
Singer-Songwriter Dar Williams on brilliant form with Emerald
Aerosmith live – do they get it right in Donington?
Gaming with Dinosaurs – why not?
Classic artists get the SACD treatment and our Pat has a listen
Pat Francis currently hosts the popular comedy/music podcast “Rock Solid,” called 1 of the 8 great music podcasts to put in your ears by USA Today and featuring artists such as Melissa Etheridge, Sammy Hagar and Susanna Hoffs. His frequent appearances on Jimmy Pardo’s top rated podcast “Never Not Funny” are fan favorites. Pat began his entertainment career as a stand-up comic in Chicago, IL. After touring the country and performing in 42 states at comedy clubs and colleges, he relocated to Los Angeles, CA. There he appeared as a comedian on Comedy Central, AMC, the UCB and is a yearly regular at the San Francisco Sketchfest. For the past 5 years he has also served as Co-Host of the yearly event Pardcast-A-Thon which to date has raised over 700,000 for Smile Train. When not entertaining people in person he also makes his living as a Story Producer for reality television programs. It is also important to know that Pat is a monkey in a human mask.