In grand Disney tradition, it’s another trip to the well for an all time classic animated film, Bambi, which gets its third release on blu-ray June 6. This time in a Disney signature Edition.
Don’t look for anything new here in terms of picture quality and sound. It’s the same as the previous releases, which is good news as it still looks wonderful, almost like brand new and the sound is crystal clear.
The real draw for this release is the new bonus features that have been included. It’s pretty cool to hear Walt Disney discussing the film. Check out the full features both new and ported over from the previous release.
BONUS MATERIAL (BLU-RAY & DIGITAL* HD) INCLUDES:
· THE BAMBI EFFECT – “Bambi” was full of innovations for its time. Let’s take a look at how those past innovations affected future Disney animated titles all the way up to today.
· STUDIO STORIES: “BAMBI” – Recordings of Walt Disney. Listen in on intimate moments where he discusses the challenges, pitfalls and triumphs during the production of “Bambi.”
· DELETED SCENE: BAMBI’S ICE AND SNOW – Bambi coaxes Thumper and his brothers and sisters to come play on the ice during the first snow.
· DELETED SCENE: THE GRASSHOPPER – A grasshopper confronts Bambi and Thumper and finds himself in quite a predicament.
· BAMBI FAWN FACTS – Think you know everything there is to know about Bambi and his forest companions? Well, it’s time to discover some fun real-life facts about the creatures that live in the forest he calls home.
· OSWALD THE LUCKY RABBIT: “AFRICA BEFORE DARK” – Oswald Short.
· CELEBRATING TYRUS WONG (DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE) – A heartfelt look at the man who played a key role in the success of “Bambi.” Much like Mary Blair and Eyvind Earle, Tyrus Wong had a unique signature style all to his own. The soft water-colored backgrounds and beautiful palettes in “Bambi” were inspired by Tyrus’ concept art paintings.
· DELETED SCENES – Two Leaves, Bambi Stuck on a Reed, Winter Grass, Twitterpated
· THE MAKING OF BAMBI: A PRINCE IS BORN
o STORY: TELLING THE TALE
o CHARACTERS: DRAWN TO NATURE
o ACTORS: GIVING VOICE TO ANIMALS
o ART DESIGN: IMPRESSIONS OF THE FOREST
o MUSIC: NATURE’S SYMPHONY
o HISTORY: BACK TO THE BEGINNING
· TRICK OF THE TRADE (Excerpt)
· INSIDE THE DISNEY ARCHIVES
· THE OLD MILL: ANIMATED SHORT
· ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER
· THE GOLDEN AGE
Disney is famous for double dipping and Disney fans are just as famous for snatching up every release possible. It hits the wallet a bit too much for my tastes but the Signature Collection is full of quality releases, Bambi included. I just wish they would do a definitive release instead of dozens of rehashes but that’s wishful thinking.
This is a great release for fans of the film and animated films in general. My feelings on the film itself aren’t really of issue here (I actually find it a little boring even at its thin hour and ten minute run time) but it is certainly one to grab for the kids, or yourself if you love it. Disney always does well by their animated films and this release, while redundant, is no exception.
Garon Cockrell is the Founder and Editor of Pop Culture Beast and host of The Pop Culture Beast Show. He founded the site over seven years ago to have a place on the internet to write about the things he loved. Since then, Garon has become a best-selling author (Demonic and Other Tales), an award winning screenwriter (Best Screenplay 2013 Motor City Nightmares Film Festival), and a cast member on the top rated podcast, Never Not Funny.